Marine Propulsion Product Sales Specialist
Job Purpose/Performance Outputs:
- Responsible for growing sales in assigned territory for specialized marine product lines Great Lakes Power ("GLP") represents.
- Develops a product expertise that provides customers with a high level of engineering and applications support. Possesses the base of product knowledge to provide centralized support for GLP branch sales efforts in those specialized products.
- Responsible as the point of contact and coordinates all sales and marketing efforts with the specialized product supplier.
- Reports directly to the Vice President of Sales and Marketing with dotted line to designated center of excellence branch manager and/or designated GLP Product Champion
Essential Functions Performed:
- Provides direct sales responsibilities for major accounts.
- Assists and train GLP branch sales force on product applications and target customer approaches.
- Supports GLP local branch sales and marketing efforts to grow specialized marine product sales and services.
- Provide market research and promotional programs and product and service recommendations.
- Assists VP of Sales with annual sales forecast.
- Maintains key supplier relationships.
Core Job Competencies (skills, knowledge, abilities) Required:
- Extensive market knowledge of marine propulsion systems and target customer base. Ideal candidate will have in-depth of knowledge of; marine transmissions, diesel engines, shaft lines, surface drives, stern drives, waterjets, Z-drives / pods, thrusters, vessel control systems, engineering design and analysis tools
- Candidate will work with vessel owner/operators, naval architects, engine distributors, and shipyards to market various propulsion products in our portfolio. This will require the ability to prepare and present the above parties with trade studies and technical proposals covering various propulsion options. Technical support of projects from initial bid to commissioning will be required.
- Experienced and self-motivated to actively pursue sales opportunities.
- Possess communications skills, both verbal and written, to communicate well with upper level customer management, customer engineers, naval architects, key supplier personnel and fron-line customer support staff.
- Possess planning and organization skills to orchestrate daily and weekly sales agendas.
- Experienced in reading mechanical drawings or product schematics to analyze customer product applications.
- Stays on top of external influences (i.e. competition, trending technologies, supplier activities, political and social issues, etc.) and their consequences that may impact sales and customer relationships.
- Leadership skills to guide and develop individuals and teams toward goal and task achievement.
- Proficient in understanding the financial and economic aspects of product pricing strategies, inventory costing models and gross margin performance as well as effective selling, general and administrative cost controls.
- Act with integrity (i.e. maintain moral and ethical behaviors) while fulfilling one's job responsibilities.
- Possess sound judgement skills (i.e. your ability to provide sound decisions based upon logical assumptions, facts and inputs from others).
- Be confident to make decisive decisions, take action or commit yourself to a sales opportunity.
- Have the ability and confidence to be a problem solver (i.e. skills to identify problems, analyze for cause and develop solutions to further a customer sales opportunity).
- Knowledge of marketing research methods, including customer analysis and sales forecasting.
Minimum Education Level:
Minimum Bachelor of Science in related Engineering Field (Mechanical, Marine, Aerospace) or Naval Architecture. Candidates with demonstrated technical sales experience in the marine industry to related field will also be considered.
Five to seven years minimum marine propulsion products / service sales experience.